- Bath Waste & Overflow
- Decorative Lavatory Drains
- Decorative Lavatory Traps
- Valves - Angle, Straight, Sweat
- Lavatory Supply Kits & Parts
- Toilet Supply Kits & Parts
- Toilet Tank Levers
- Shower Drains
- Sink Strainers & Disposer Trims
- Perfect Grind® Waste Disposer
- Filters, Faucets, & Water Appliances
Product Category Education
Decorative Lavatory Traps
Decorative Lavatory Traps have come a long way in the evolution of indoor plumbing. They are now not only completely functional for their primary purpose, but can be made in attractive shapes (usually a bottle trap) to create an aesthetic complement to whatever you are trying to achieve with the look or feel of your space.
What Does a Lavatory Trap Do?
Though there is now more than one kind of trap to choose from, the trap’s purpose is always the same. The purpose of the trap is to “trap” and keep the gas from the waste water from coming back through the pipes and into the room. It does this by gathering water at the bottom of the curve to block the gas (please see diagrams below). There are different shapes for different aesthetic and functional reasons.